The Peer-to-Peer Exchange Program is designed to share global best practice cases and real world examples of sustainable urban freight systems. This program is open to anyone with a professional or a personal interest in freight transportation issues. Professional Development Hours will be provided to those interested.
Globally, cities face the challenges of growing urban freight transport demand and its harmful effects on the environment and quality of life. One potential approach towards more effective and environmentally-friendly urban commercial transport is the use of (electric) cargo cycles for different types of deliveries or service trips. Cargo cycles encompasses both two and three wheeled vehicles used to transport cargo. The speakers will provide a brief overview of European efforts, and will discuss in detail the German experience.
This webinar will present German experiences to date with cargo cycles from three perspectives: private sector, public administration, and academia . The following topics will be addressed:
- Examples, and best practices of cargo cycle pilot projects, and urban freight collaborations between companies and municipalities considering cargo bikes
- Results and lessons learned from a two-year demonstration project (“I replace a car”) using 40 electric cargo cycles for courier logistics
- Perspective and insights of the CEO of the involved courier logistics company (Messenger Transport+Logistik)
- The relevance of cargo cycles for public authorities and transport planners, including legal issues
- A classification of urban transport market segments in terms of existing or potential cargo cycle use
- A categorization of factors that positively or negatively influence stakeholders’ decisions to use cargo cycles
*This Peer-to-Peer webinar is eligible for 1.0 Professional Engineer Professional Development Hour (PDH). In order to receive credit, you must attend the full webinar and complete a short learning assessment following the webinar. Please contact Jeff Wojtowicz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details about the requirements for receiving PDH for this webinar.
Event: Cargo Cycles for Urban Freight: The European Experience
When: Wednesday 10 June 2015, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Time Zone: (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US and Canada) (Please note that Daylight Saving Time (+01:00 hr) is in effect during this time)