The Peer-to-Peer Exchange Program is designed to share global best practice cases and real world examples of sustainable urban freight systems. This program is open to anyone with a professional or a personal interest in freight transportation issues. Professional Development Hours will be provided to those interested.
This webinar will be the second of a two-part series focused on the use of cargo cycles for urban delivery. Building on lessons learned from the preceding webinar addressing the European experience, this webinar will provide a detailed discussion of cargo cycle operations in North America, with specific focus on the cities of Portland, OR and New York, NY. As in Europe, American cities are currently challenged to meet growing and increasingly complex demands for urban deliveries while balancing economic, safety, environmental, and quality of life interests. For many types of urban movements, cargo cycles – two and three wheeled primarily human-powered vehicles – offer a low-impact alternative to traditional gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles.
With insights from the owner and CEO of a leading cycle-logistics company and from an academic researcher, this webinar will address the following subjects:
- Operating experience from B-Line: Sustainable Urban Delivery in Portland, OR ;
- Challenges faced by cargo cycle operators in major US and Canadian cities;
- Estimated traffic performance and related externalities for cargo cycles compared to motorized delivery vehicles in Manhattan, New York City;
- Observed differences in markets, operations, regulatory environments, and infrastructure use between US cities and European cities; and
- Opportunities for public sector interventions to enhance cargo cycle operations.
*This Peer-to-Peer webinar is eligible for 1.0 Professional Engineer Professional Development Hour (PDH). In order to receive credit, you must attend the full webinar and complete a short learning assessment following the webinar. Please contact Jeff Wojtowicz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details about the requirements for receiving PDH for this webinar.
Event: Cargo Cycles for Urban Delivery: North American Experience
When: Wednesday 19 August 2015, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Time Zone: (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US and Canada) (Please note that Daylight Saving Time (+01:00 hr) is in effect during this time)